Laura Bolton is a fantastic Paleo diet and lifestyle coach. She’s as dedicated as we are to growing the UK paleo movement, and she also makes some drool-worthy food. Just check out her instagram and you’ll see what me mean. Her Persian carrot cake is perfect for Valentine’s Day.
- 3 organic medium free range eggs
- 4 tablespoons raw 100% maple syrup or honey
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g desicated coconut
- 10 tablespoons (150ml) coconut oil
- 200g carrot roughly grated
- 100g pistachios, very coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 50g sultanas (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- chopped pistachios
- edible rose petals, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170/Fan 150 (GM 4) and Line a 9 inch/23cm square tin with baking parchment (bottom and sides)
- Lightly beat the eggs, maple syrup and melted coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ground almonds and coconut and mix together thoroughly .
- Add the carrot, pistachios and sultanas if using and mix in thoroughly. At this point the mixture will seem quite thick however this is perfect.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin, gently pushing it into the corners and spread it out evenly across the tin and place in the centre of the oven and cook for 45 minutes. After this time it should look a light golden brown on top and be slightly springy to touch
- Place the tin on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Once completely cooled (after about 2-3 hours) it can be removed from the tin and enjoyed as it is, or decorated. A lovely way to do this is to spread honey over the surface and then sprinkle the chopped pistachios and edible rose petals on top.Enjoy! And don’t forget to check our Laura’s website here and her instagram here.