• Serves: 12 Yorkshire puddings with a bit of batter to spare (to make a bigger one!)
  • Prep time: 5 mins
  • Cooking time: 10-15 mins

Paleo Yorkshire puddings have been on my wish list for a while. For me, they are the ultimate comfort food. I even have a deliciously secret way to eat them for dessert… but more on that later.

Childhood weekends were spent at my grandparents, and Sunday lunch always consisted of Yorkshire Puddings. It didn’t matter if we were having roast beef or not, it didn’t matter if there were two of us or ten of us for dinner, heck it didn’t even matter if it was Sunday.

Since going Paleo a few years ago, there hasn’t been many foods that I miss. I thought I would miss pasta desperately, but no. Bread… not so much – especially now I can have this amazing loaf. But Yorkshire puddings… yes, absolutely. So for Yorkshire Day this year, we tried a few different Paleo Yorkshire pudding recipes but none of them quite hit the spot. So we set about trying our own version – and we’re so glad we did. Not only are these simple to make, but they taste like childhood weekends spent with my grandparents (or in other words, absolutely wonderful!) They are crisp with a soft centre – just how Yorkshire’s should be!

Now I won’t be indulging in these every Sunday as they are contain arrowroot starch and cassava flour (two slightly different carbohydrate flours), but they will definitely be making an occasional appearance at our dinner table.

A plate of Paleo Yorkshire Puddings
Paleo Yorkshire puddings – light, crispy and delicious.

And after dinner, I’ll be dolloping a spoonful of this jam in them and eating them at room temperature for the best Paleo dessert ever (and thinking of my grandad who introduced me to the Yorkshire delicacy of Yorkshire Puddings and Jam when I was about 5 years old!) NOTE: whilst this jam is 100% fruit, it is still sugar, so use VERY sparingly!

So go on, give Lisa’s Paleo Yorkshire Puddings a try… you won’t regret it.

Ingredients

3 large eggs (organic, free range is possible)

1/2 cup (or 65g) arrowroot starch

1/2 cup (or 120ml) dairy free milk (we used Plenish Almond Milk)

1/4 (or 30g) cup cassava flour (coming soon to our shop!)

5tbsp beef dripping, tallow (try this one), or coconut oil

Sea salt or Himalayan salt.

Method

Preheat oven to 250c

Put a tiny bit of whichever fat you’re using into each of the Yorkshire pudding/muffin tins (enough to coat the bottom) and pop in the oven to preheat.

Melt the fat you have left to add to the pudding mixture.

Throw eggs, milk, flours and the melted fat into a jug or bowl and mix well to from a thin batter.

Add batter to tins and grind a tiny bit of salt onto each pudding before pupping in to a hot oven. (Using pink salt gives a nice speckle to your puds and also tastes amazing – much better than adding slat to the mixture we find).

Cook for 10-15 minutes or until risen and golden.

Enjoy with Sunday roast (beef or not!), fill with curry, chilli, fruit or jam.

However you eat them, just enjoy!

VARIATIONS:

Pour batter into a larger tin and add cooked Paleo sausages for Paleo toad in the hole.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *